Student Pass and Visas

All exchange and study abroad students need a Student Pass to study in Malaysia. The Immigration Department of Malaysia issues and regulates the passes, but Monash Malaysia manages your pass application.

To be enrolled as a Monash Malaysia student, you would need to enter Malaysia with a Visa Approval Letter and not a tourist visa. This is very important because if you come in on a tourist visa, you will need to leave and re-enter Malaysia with a Visa Approval Letter before you will be enrolled as a Monash Malaysia student.

The Visa Approval Letter is a single-entry pass which we will apply for you from the Immigration Department of Malaysia after you have accepted your offer and submitted the necessary documents and required fees (if any) as advised in your offer letter. The Immigration officials place a temporary Special Pass stamp in your passport when you present your Visa Approval Letter and a copy of your offer letter at the airport. This temporary pass then needs to be converted into an endorsed Student Pass through the Student Pass Endorsement process explained below.

The Student Pass application fee is non-refundable and includes the fee for the compulsory medical and health insurance, i-Kad and health screening upon arrival in Malaysia.

In short, the process to obtain your Student Pass is as follows:

  1. After you accept the exchange or study abroad offer to study at Monash Malaysia and submit a Health Declaration Form (more details under Medical Screening below), our International Student Pass (ISP) Office will apply for an electronic Visa Approval Letter (e-VAL) for you. This may take about 4 - 6 weeks.
  2. Upon approval from the Immigration and issuance of an e-VAL to you, you will receive an email from ISP office with the e-VAL attached.
  3. Depending on the country of citizenship of your submitted passport, you may be required to apply for a Single Entry Visa (SEV) for student pass purposes at the nearest Malaysian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission before arriving at Malaysia.
  4. You must bring along a hard copy e-VAL and ensure you have a SEV or VOAS (where applicable) to enter Malaysia.
  5. Within 7 days of your entry into Malaysia, you are required to complete the post-arrival medical screening at a panel clinic (you may check the EMGS website for more information) and submit your original passport to our ISP Office to complete the Student Pass Endorsement process. Please approach the Monash Abroad office at the Malaysia campus immediately upon your arrival for guidance on the compulsory post-arrival medical screening and passport submission process.
  6. Wait about 4 - 6 weeks for the ISP office to return your original passport to you. As you will be without your passport during this period, you are advised NOT to make any travel arrangements outside Malaysia (including East Malaysia) for this period.
  7. In the meantime, you will be provided with a "confirmation of acknowledgement of receipt of passport" issued by the ISP Office. Students should carry this document while in Malaysia as a form of identification.

Further details on the above process of obtaining your Student Pass are outlined below. It would be very useful to familiarize yourself with the process before arriving in Malaysia.

Yellow Fever Vaccination

All international students coming from and/or transiting (more than 12 hours) through high risk countries must also undergo Yellow Fever Vaccination. The Yellow Fever vaccination certificate should be attached to your passport and must be presented to immigration officers upon arrival in Malaysia to be granted entry.

Medical and Health insurance

Part of your Student Pass requirements includes the purchase of a compulsory Medical and Health insurance for all international students studying in Malaysia. This insurance fee is included as part of the Student Pass application fee.

The Medical and Health Insurance either fully covers or contributes towards most hospital charges, including room and board, consultation and surgical fees, intensive care and outpatient services, and road ambulance services (some maximum limits may apply).

Apart from being covered by the Hospital and Surgical insurance, we encourage you to also purchase your own travel insurance which normally provides for a wider coverage of incidences. This will also include coverage assurance for any medical costs you may incur if the compulsory Medical and Health insurance coverage is insufficient.